Johnson Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing has been family-owned and operated in Johnson County since 1968. You don’t stay in business that long unless you’re doing something right (actually, make that doing lots of things right—maybe even all the things). For us, the formula is pretty simple: Provide the reliable, affordable plumbing repair and maintenance services that meet people’s needs while keeping excellence in customer service front-and-center. We do this by providing service with a smile, and we judge ourselves on a high standard: If customers aren’t smiling when we finish the work, then we didn’t do the job right!
Experience Service with a Smile in Indianapolis!
Call Johnson Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing at
Indianapolis Continues to Grow its Housing Stock
The number of housing units in Indianapolis (Marion County) has continued growing year by year over the past decade from around 418,000 in 2010 to a current total approaching 430,000. That’s a lot of plumbing that needs to be serviced! And Johnson Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing is proud to include Indy in its service area. Clogged drain? No problem! Water pressure getting lower and lower? We can help! Need emergency plumbing service? We’ve got you covered! Sump pump on the fritz? We’ll fix it! We literally do it all—except for septic systems. We’re a trusted partner for both residential and commercial clients when it comes to providing quick, affordable plumbing service throughout the greater Indianapolis metropolitan area. Professional service and expert technicians are the name of our game, whether it’s plumbing, HVAC, furnace, or air conditioning systems that need attention.
Why DIY Plumbing is Often a Bad Idea
Remember the classic line Jeff Goldblum’s character in Jurassic Park said: “I'm simply saying that life, uh...finds a way.” When it comes to your plumbing, something very similar can be said: Water finds a way out. This is important to understand because even a tiny mistake in a DIY plumbing fix can end up having disastrous consequences of epic proportions. Given the potential for things to go badly, even some of the plumbing repairs you think look easy enough for you to handle are best left to a qualified professional to make sure they’re done right.
One thing you do have to watch out for is making sure any plumber you hire is in fact a true plumber and not just a handyman masquerading as a plumber. While a handyman might be able to handle your plumbing issue, what if they can’t? You’ll still be stuck with the bill, so it makes sense to only hire a licensed plumber. A properly licensed plumber knows the ins and outs of local building codes and regulations, and in most states must have a certain amount of experience in order to be licensed. In the state of Indiana that requirement is four years or 6,400 hours of plumbing experience! All the expert technicians on the Johnson team are licensed, insured, and highly trained to address the plumbing issues and problems you experience.
Classic Cloggers: Keep Your Pipes Clear!
We strongly recommend against DIY plumbing repair, even if it’s just trying to clear a clogged drain. Reaching for the Drano or any of the other clog-clearing products you can buy are generally not a good idea. They rarely completely clear the clog. Moreover, the chemicals they contain are dangerous to handle, and can actually cause serious damage to a drain pipe that will only end up with you having to call a licensed plumber anyway. What we DO recommend, however, are the preventative measures you can take by refraining from putting the following “classic cloggers” down your drains, whether it’s the kitchen sink or your toilet, or other sinks in your home. Be wary of the following:
- Testing the limits of your garbage disposal. Yes, the garbage disposal is a wonderful thing, but it has its limits, and there are things you should avoid putting into it, including fruit peels and rinds. They’re notorious for causing clogs. In fact, you should avoid putting anything down your garbage disposal that you wouldn’t eat. Starchy or fibrous foods also aren’t good because they tend to expand or get wrapped around the blades, so this includes things like potatoes, onion skins, asparagus, celery, corn husks, artichokes, and so on. Try composting instead or put them in the trash.
- Grease, oil, and fats. These must never be poured down any drain because you’re just asking for a serious problem to happen. These substances coat the pipes and cause buildup and sludge until you end up with a serious clog.
- Hygiene or paper products other than toilet paper. Toilets are built to handle normal human waste and toilet paper, not anything else. If you want to avoid major drain clogs, you have to stop using your toilet like a garbage can. No feminine products, no paper towels, no cotton swabs, no wipes, no cosmetic towelettes, and on and on and on. With all the sanitizing wipes being used during the pandemic, the number of plumbing calls has increased dramatically because people keep flushing wipes down their toilets. Don’t do it! Other items you should never flush down the toilet include kitty litter and dental floss.
Benjamin Franklin popularized this wise advice, and it applies to the plumbing system in your home, townhouse, condominium, or apartment today as well as it has applied to anything throughout history. Follow the above advice and you’ll greatly decrease the likelihood of having to call a plumber to address clogged drains.
Plumbing Services Available in Indianapolis by Johnson HCP
Our customers are loyal because they know we have the experience and know-how to get the job done right. Here are the plumbing services you can count on us to deliver when you need them:
- Backflow Testing & Repair
- Boiler Repair
- Burst Pipe Repair
- Clogged Toilet Repair
- Drain Cleaning
- Faucets, Fixtures & Sink Installation & Repair
- Kitchen Garbage Disposals (installation and repair)
- Gas Line Repair
- Sewer Line Repair
- Shower & Tub Installation
- Slab Leak Repair
- Sump Pump Services
- Water Leak Detection
- Water Heater Services
- Tankless Water Heater Services
- Water Filtration System Installation
- Water Softener Installation
- Commercial Plumbing
- 24 Hour Emergency Plumbing
You can check out real customer reviews we get on sites like Yelp, Facebook, and Angie’s List. And if you’d like professional-grade maintenance to prevent problems, join our Service Club, which includes 24-hour emergency service at no extra cost! We service communities in and around Indianapolis, and we’re only ever a phone call away at 317-881-7738!